Choosing a Surgeon
When you make a decision to surgically correct your vision, one of the biggest considerations is which surgeon to choose. In an area as large as Southern California you may have several options available, so how do you determine who is the best qualified to perform your vision correction?
Some of the criteria you should evaluate includes:
- How many primary (do not include enhancement procedures or non-laser procedures) procedures has the surgeon performed; what is his/her experience level?
- Is the surgeon an expert in the field?
- Has he/she done research in refractive surgery?
- Has he/she participated in the FDA investigations for refractive surgery?
- Does he/she lecture to other doctors on the subject of refractive surgery?
- Does he/she train other doctors how to perform the procedures?
- Has he/she published articles on refractive surgery subjects
- Does he/she act as a consultant to the refractive surgery industry?
- Is he/she an invited speaker to National and International meetings?
- Does the surgeon offer all current refractive surgery options, including:
- Does the surgeon provide complete information to you and fully answer all of your questions regarding refractive surgery? Does the center perform clinical and laboratory research in refractive surgery?
At Gordon Weiss Schanzlin Vision Institute our doctors have treated over 45,000 refractive surgery patients. We were the first center in the world to perform the all laser custom LASIK procedure. Our doctors pioneered the research and development of the excimer laser for the correction of myopia and are currently participating in investigations for its use in correcting astigmatism and hyperopia. Our doctors have participated in all phases of FDA investigations leading up to the approval for laser vision correction. They lecture internationally on the subject of refractive surgery and train other doctors in the latest refractive surgery techniques. Dr. Gordon and Dr. Weiss have published numerous articles on their research and experience with refractive surgery and are consultants for companies in the refractive surgery industry.